Monday, September 25, 2006

The last days of Ottawa...

I kicked off the Saturday by attending the Animators for Hire seminar - an interesting speed-dating-like service to talk to studios that were hiring. I think the process works moderately well and it was an interesting thing to be a part of.

Next up was the international showcase. Two of the best film I saw at Ottawa were at this: Disney's The Little Matchgirl and Matthew Walker's Astronauts - a hilarious performance driven 3D film, and Guide Dog, a hilarious Bill Plympton short. All in all I think the international showcase had the strongest films at the festival - which begs to question - why weren't they in competition?

The Bob Clampett Retrospective was next - it was definetly a hoot! Thanks to Chuck for sponsoring that!

After that I caught Short Competition 5 - which had an amazing high school film "Black Box", Stefan Mueller's amusing "Mr. Schwartz, Mr. Hazen & Mr. Horlocker," a screening of "Le Building", and it went abstract from there on it. A good mix overall, but definetly not the best competition group I've seen at Ottawa.

After that was the Saturday night party - which was a blast! Barrymore's is quite the venue.

Onto Sunday!

Short Competition 4 was up first - the United Airlines spot "Dragon" was definetly notable - as was Marc Sylvain's short, "Fertilizer Soup". Also great was Blair Kitchen's UN Spot "Lion and Zebra" - Chuck did a great job on it and I gotta pat him on the back for it! Then it moved back into the sex and the abstract.

The last thing I was able to catch was some of Evan Spiridellis' talk about "The Rise of the Independant Creator" - you've definetly got to read about what JibJab's doing - it's pretty amazing stuff! Check out Mark Mayerson's post on this because it's said in a more eloquent manner than I would be able to on the subject.

As for the winners?

The Christies took the Feature Competition, Dreams and Desires took the best short, Mr. Schwartz, Mr. Hazen & Mr. Horlocker took best Student Animation, the Fedex: Stick commercial won for best commercial and Le Building won best Undergrad animation

Umbrella Boy took 2nd place at the Teletoon Continuing Ed Competition - great job Andrew and all the guys who worked on it! Also, Kent Hugo, Jay Edry, and Brad Kinley took home the Continuing Ed prizes - great job Sheridan!

Not so great however was the Sheridan Booth, I plan to talk to someone about that one.

Before signing off on this Ottawa post, I wanted to show off this music video that Trevor and Ben worked on - apparently they're embarrased by it but I don't think they have any reason to be:



See you next year, Ottawa!

2 comments:

Blair Kitchen 6:14 PM  

Hey Alan. How are you doing? I was just reading your report on the Ottawa Festival and thought I'd leave a comment. (I got here through Cartoon Brew). Thanks for mentioning the UN spot. (lion and zebra). Keep on Blogging!

Cookedart 10:31 PM  

Hey Blair!

Great job on the short!

I worked at Chuck's over the summer - seems strange that we never really met face to face!

I'll definetly try to keep blogging the way I've always done!

Subscribe To...

Site Tracking...

free hit counter

eXTReMe Tracker

Locations of visitors to this page

  © Alan Cook, 2009. Template based on 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP