Sunday, June 17, 2007

Upgrades...

I'm in the process of updating the blog's template. Please don't mind the mess.

[Update] I've got the site working great in Safari and Firefox.

If you've got IE 7 or 6 I've still got some work left to do.

[Update x 2] It seems that I've got it working decently enough in IE 6 for now. There's still bugs all around but it's looking pretty decent so far!

I've updated the blog's template today, using a mishmash of code I've found around and a few of my own personal tweaks. I've wanted to update the look of my blog for a long time now and finally got a chance today. I still want it to look better, but that's a battle for another day.

I hope you guys like it!

What exactly is new?

First and foremost, I got rid of the 'about me' kinda stuff and threw up most of the other stuff in that category in the buttons along the top.

I've now made two sidebars. Why? So you no longer have to scroll down to find my links - links are permanently pinned to the right sidebar and categorized like always.

The middle column is a mishmash, I know, but it's more organized than the old page.



Up top is categories - I try to add a label to all of my posts so everything is pretty categorised. What's nice is you can even now see how many posts are in each category (the way I was doing it before you couldn't. There's a small bug in categories if you click on "show all posts" - it just takes you back to the home page.



The featured videos section is in place simply as a place for me to put all the latest videos. Instead of putting them in the posts, I'll probably put most embedded videos in this section only because the page loads up quite a bit slower with 10+ flash objects, so this way I can limit the amount of video clips (right now I'm limiting it to 4) on my front page.



I've installed two feed reader functions - the 5 latest posts from Cartoon Brew, as well as a plugin for Google Reader that automatically posts a headline that I tag when I'm looking at all the blogs that I have subscribed to in my RSS reader. There's a lot of news that I find interesting and don't necessarily post about - so I suggest checking out that section of the site regularly. (under - "Other News I've Read Today". A list of all of these posts can be found here



The archives is now twirlable thanks to the new blogger system, which also shows how many posts were made each month and each year. I wasn't kidding about the 600 posts!



Underneath this is a Picasa Web Album which shows every single image I've uploaded to blogger. Check out the album here.

The site is definitely wider now - it is exactly 1024 pixels wide, so it should work on a 1024X768 monitor or higher. If you have a lower res screen it will introduce a horizontal scrollbar.

I guess that's pretty well all the new features for now! I'm going to try to milk the middle sidebar of all the cool little gadgets that I can, but I'm pretty happy with it right now.

If you find any bugs please contact me - I've only checked it on windows browsers (IE 6, Firefox 2.0.0.4, and Safari 3) - so if you find something wrong then please tell me!

There is a bug in Firefox right now that causes posts to go right off their column - so posts that are underneath all the links go past the white section of the page. Also, text from posts sometimes flows right onto the middle sidebar.

I'll work to fix these - if you find anything else please let me know!

6 comments:

Michael Dedrick 12:03 AM  

I'm feelin' the new layout Mr. Cook, excellent work.

Cookedart 12:09 AM  

Thanks Mike - It's really quite a functional update though. I wanted to make it look nicer and I think I've done that only a little - it's definitely pretty cluttered now, but it's got quite a bit more functionality.

Glad you like the stuff!

Peter @ Enviroman 4:08 AM  

Hi Cooked Art,

Just dropping by to thank you for leaving a comment in my post How to get rid of those "irritating" edit icons.

Peter (Blog*Star 2006 and 2007)
Generating Revenue from your Website

Jinny Liang 6:07 AM  

I like the new look! Alot easier to navigate and find what you're looking for. =) Kudos~~

Rob Bodnar 2:52 PM  

Looks great, thanks for linking creativelinks.blogspot.com I will hook you up too.

You Win 4:25 PM  

Not really diggin' the double sidebars - your links still stretch all the way to the bottom of the page.
Not sure if it could be done, but I think expandable categories (like the archives) would work nice, since you already have so many categories and tons of links under each. It would clean up the sidebar considerably.

I like the tabs up top though, those are cool.

Subscribe To...

Site Tracking...

free hit counter

eXTReMe Tracker

Locations of visitors to this page

  © Alan Cook, 2009. Template based on 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP